Sunday, January 15, 2012

Feeling Privileged

I went grocery shopping yesterday. I read labels, compared ingredients, did my best to choose healthy foods and beauty products that were not tested on animals. And I thought as I drove home that those kinds of consumer choices, as important as they may be, are not available to everyone, that being able to make those choices is a mark of economic privilege.

* * *

I feel lucky in so many ways these days. I love where I live. I love what I do. I have an amazing group of friends here in Columbus. I still have wonderful friends back in Pennsylvania. I have so much freedom in my schedule and in my life. I have time to write and to read and to work out and to cook.

* * *

I was out with friends the other night and I couldn't stop thinking how happy I am to be back in Columbus. I'd gone to a hockey game earlier (free tickets through a friend's boss), we walked from the arena up to the Short North, then went to a bar where we made friends with a bunch of girls dressed in 80's costumes for a birthday party. I was with a group of lesbians, some of whom were couples and being visibly affectionate; we were not at a gay bar, yet no one batted an eye.

2 comments:

Nicolette said...

I'm glad that you're doing so well these days (and that you're blogging again)! This leads me to wonder, is adjuncting perhaps not as horrible as people make it out to be? It would be great to rest assured that possibilities exist outside the tenure track. :)

Emily said...

Hi Nicolette! Thanks for reading. And honestly, I don't find adjuncting to be horrible at all aside from not paying very well. I'm also doing freelance proofreading and editing stuff on the side, which helps with that aspect; plus I'm not one to be hung up on making the big bucks - I just need a roof over my head and some rice in the cupboard (hence the name of my blog). But really, I like teaching; I like teaching at a community college; and I feel pretty lucky to be doing it here, in a city I love, with good friends, and writing poety on the side.